An email from a house church

When I woke up today, an email was waiting for me in my inbox. It was an email from a guy who attends a house church in a nearby town inviting me to check it out. I had known about it previously, but during this recent period it has eluded my mind.

I have been burnt badly in the past with two people trying to exist in the same church with two completely different visions although we were using the same vocabulary. I don't want that to happen again. So at the risk of being too anal, I sent him an email with the following questions. If you think I left something out, please let me know.

1.  What does one of your house church meetings look like?


2. Do you try to see each other throughout the week?

3. When was your latest addition to your church and how were they incorporated into the larger group?

4. How do you do offering? Why have you chosen to do it that way?

5. How do you deal with children? Why do you deal with them that way?

6. How are church decisions made? Why do you choose to do it this way?

7. Do you have sermons or lessons during your gathering? With sermons I mean someone speaking
without questions. Why have you chosen to do things this way?

8. Are you open to change?

9. When was the last time a change took place? Please describe it.

10. What is the long-term plans of your church? Do you plan on getting large, buying a building, and
paying a minister or do you plan on starting another house church when your size reaches a point where
those expenses become almost a necessity? Why do you plan on doing things that way?

11. Do the people in your church know one another's needs?

12. Would you describe your church as loving? Why would you describe it that way?
That is it.

Watch out for the potholes.