Sex, Movies, Violence, and Christians

Here is a little theory I have developed. Feel free to shoot holes in it.

***

Would it be wrong for me to lay naked with another woman as long as I wasn't physically attracted to her? We could just rub our bodies against one another without meaning anything.

***

(Mat 5:27-28 NASB) ""You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY'; {28} but I say to you, that everyone who looks on a woman to lust for her has committed adultery with her already in his heart."

I think a lot of us have used Jesus' making the law stricter as an excuse to do evil things. If I don't have the bad thought, then it isn't a sin if I do a bad thing. That isn't what Jesus was getting at. He wasn't saying that we can do immoral actions if we have the right state of mind. He was saying that just having the wrong state of mind is a sin similar to committing an immoral action.

***

Many people feel that Christians are hypocrites when it comes to movies. Many Christians don't want sex in their movies, but they are okay with violence. Isn't killing someone a sin just as much as committing adultery? Heck, some would possibly argue that killing is a greater sin, but I will leave that for another discussion on another day. Do you think Christians are hypocrites for this stance? I used to.

Then I came up with this theory. Violence is fake. When someone gets his head blown off in a movie it is completely fake. When someone gets shot in the chest, no bullet actually penetrated that guys body. Nobody was really hurt in the process of filiming that scene.

When someone acts is in a sex scene they are actually naked and rubbing against one another. I would argue that they are committing a sin. Just because they might not have the mental state of sinning doesn't mean they aren't in the physical state of sinning. When we watch a sex scene we are watching people sinning right there in front of us.

That is where I think the line is. Sex scenes are actually sin while violence is completely fake.

So there you have it. Now you know why Christians feel violence is more okay in movies than sex scenes.

***

Watch out for the potholes.