A Book Review - The Crystal Shard

"Every day in every place is an adventure. This you have not yet learned. And so you chase down the distant roads, hoping to satisfy the hunger for excitement that burns in your heart...Perhaps when you return you will understand the excitement of simply being alive."

I just finished reading a book strictly for pleasure. Okay, that's not true. If you know me, I can hardly do anything for pure enjoyment. I overanalyze everything. As a matter of fact, Lindsay and I were sitting watching television last night when she told me that I was doing it. I don't know how anyone can put up with me as much as she does. But I digress.

I can't put a handy link up in case you want to hop on over to Amazon, purchase it, and allow me to get a portion of the proceeds. The Amazon Associates site is down. Not that it really matters anyway. The only sales I get appear to be the ones that I do myself. However, if you have used my Amazon search bar and purchased from Amazon, I am sorry if I have not given you the credit you deserve. Thank you if you are out there.

Onto the book.

The Crystal Shard by R. A. Salvatore.

I wouldn't describe myself as a fantasy fan in the least. I have only read a few fantasy novels (not including Lord of the Rings) in my life that I have been able to finish. I was thinking to myself after finishing this book that it was great. Then I realized I think that about every book I finish. I began to wonder if I am just easily entertained. Then the piles and piles of unfinished books that I will never continue to read came to my mind. (This heap is imaginary although it would be neat to have.) A book has to be good if I am ever going to finish it. I quit reading books when they stop being interesting. They are for my enjoyment and if they aren't producing enjoyment, they're added to the heap of unfinished books. I would not turn my entertainment into a chore.

I could give you the details of the book, which I will a little bit later. I could tell you of the gigantic battles or great quests. However, I judge a book not by what happens or how it was told, although that does matter, but by whether it makes me a better person. If a book makes want to be more loving, if it instills in me principles that will make me a better leader, then I love the book. This book did that. In all the adventures, the main characters were people that are much better people than me. They have traits that I would love to have.

If I were to summarize the book, it is about an ignorant barbarian becoming a dynamic leader. It is the story of a hardened dwarf learning to lov. It is about friendship and trust. It is about leadership and perseverance. I give it the Regan Book of the Month club approval. (Maybe someday I'll have a neat little logo.)

Spoiler Warning.

The one part of the book that touched me the most is when the barbarian leader is trying to receive permission to have his barbarian tribe join the human civilization. The deal would be mutally beneficial, possibly even better for the humans since they were in dire straits at the time. One of the human leaders, who is full of much deserved hatred towards the barbarians, mocks the barbarian leader and taunts him the whole throughout the discussion. However, much to the surprise of everyone, the barbarian leader just ignores it. He remains focused on the important task at hand.

At the end he acknowledged the comments from the taunter. "For now I am responsible for all of my people. Thus have I disregarded your insults."

We have a great task at hand being children of God. We need to let the insults of others just roll of us if we are to accomplish the work that is planned for us.

Watch out for the potholes.