A brief critique of Abraham's Children: Reuniting an Old Family

Before I get to my post, I want to say that I am going to be taking an computer hiatus this week. I won't be playing any games, posting on my blog, checking my email, or any other sort of thing. The only things I will be doing on the computer are business related tasks. So Pulling Weeds out of Potholes will not be updated again until next Monday.

I figured it was time to do a reset on my computer habits. It's easier to get a proper perspective on things when you distance yourself from it. That is what I'm going to be doing this week.

***

This morning before church, which I missed because I have a case of the flu or something of that sort again, I watched a show entitled "Abraham's Children: Reuniting an Old Family." It was a show that was talking about a play with the same name that is being performed in theatres and the like throughout the midwest. It stars Jews, Christians, and Muslims. The following is a critique of the show and not of the play because I have not seen it.

It came across as a very universalist program. The theme seemed to be that all people have the truth. I was amazed by the Christians that are on the show and actually buy into what the play teaches. They reiterated the point that there doesn't have to be just one truth; there can be two.

Two truths. I can see how this would appeal to people who don't really believe. But if they think this is going to convince the people who really believe the hate that they falsely or genuinely receive from their religion, then they are sorely mistaken. All this will do is be a rallying point for those who don't really believe what there religions teach because nobody can truly believe in the teachings of Jesus and think that the Muslims are okay, and vice-versa with the teachings of Mohammed. I'm sure the writer of the play had great intentions, but watering down the teachings of the various religions in order to bring unity is misguided at best.

We don't have to think the other person is right in order to respect them and not run around tyring to kill one another. Teaching that we are all right seems to imply that people need to be right in order to be respected. That is a dangerous thing to teach because we are actually saying that in order to respect someone's humanity we have to believe they are right. We need to learn to respect people's humanity even when we believe they are wrong. That is true love. It is easy to love those who we think are right. It is much more difficult to love those who are wrong.

"You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. For He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward will you have? Don't even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing out of the ordinary? Don't even the Gentiles do the same? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

Watch out for the potholes.