A Grand Slam and God's Love

The tension was high. Isaac stepped up to the plate with bases loaded. I can’t remember all of the specifics of the moment. The past is fleeting like that, but I do remember that he hit a hard grounder that went between the third baseman and third base. It kept going all the way to the back of the outfield. “Don’t look at the ball! Just run!” By the time the kids in the outfield got to the ball he was rounding second. “Run, Isaac, Run!” The outfielder threw it in to the cutoff. If the pitcher would catch the ball and step in the circle the play would have been over, and Isaac would just have a three-run triple. “Run! Run!” Isaac was rounding third; the ball was being thrown to pitcher. And the pitcher missed it. Isaac hit an in-the-park grand slam (albeit with an error), but in Pee-Wee League nobody counts errors.

I was already standing because I was cheering him on. I went over to give him a five and tell him, “Good job!” Although it is just baseball and in the big picture it is meaningless, watching Isaac hit a grand slam and become overjoyed because of what he did was one of the best moments in my life. Yesterday, I was retelling the story and was amazed at how much I was still happy from it.

I can’t help but picture God and the joy we can bring Him and share with Him. I can hear God cheering, “Run! Run! Don’t stop! Keep Going! Run, Regan, Run!!! Don’t pay attention to the world, just follow me!” He cheers the same for you.

“The Lord, your God, is in your midst, a warrior who gives victory; he will rejoice over you with gladness, he will renew you in his love; he will exult over you with loud singing as on a day of festival” (Zephaniah 3:17a).