A Light in the Darkness, TPing in the Dark

The writer of Psalm 119 declared, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path”  (Psalm 119:105).

What a great illustration.  A lamp to my feet and a light unto my path, but I don't know many of us who walk around with a lamp any more to show the way.  It might not be as poetic but if the author of Psalm 119 was writing today, he would have said, “Your word is a flashlight that shows me the path to go on when it is dark.”

Do we let his word show us the way through the darkness?

When I was in junior high, we would often go out and toilet paper people’s houses.  It was not a nice thing to do (although really, people appreciated being toilet papered as long as it was in good fun and not vindictive, which it always was for us – it showed we cared in a weird way).  Anyway, part of TPing people’s houses was dressing up in dark clothes and running across town.  Well, I don’t know if you’ve ever ran in the dark without a light.   The roots in the ground will trip you.  And that is pretty dangerous.  I fell a few times from roots.  You’ve got to be real careful in the dark.  The most dangerous obstacle when running around town in the middle of the night is clotheslines.  One time, I ran into a clothesline at top speed in the dark.  It knocked me down and made a mark on my forehead that lasted a few weeks .  Clothesline in the dark can be deadly.

Being out in the darkness and trying to get around makes you realize that light really does help out a lot.  Life in the spiritual dark can be just as deadly.  God’s word will help us navigate through this life by helping us develop our relationship with Him, a relationship through which He will transform us into the person he knows we should be so that we can live life to the fullest.